About the program
Our Graduate Development Program offers recent university graduates the opportunity to join Australia’s leading economic policy adviser.
Our two-year Graduate Development Program offers targeted training and development, along with two work rotations, to develop your skills, knowledge and confidence as a capable employee of the Australian Public Service.
We embrace an inclusive and flexible culture and there are plenty of opportunities to get involved with our many social networks. There are also events scheduled throughout the program that will allow you to broaden your social network and interact with graduates from across the Australian Public Service.
To apply for the Treasury Graduate Development Program you must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- You must be an Australian citizen by the end of the calendar year in which you apply.
- You need to complete an Australian-recognised undergraduate or postgraduate degree by the end of the calendar year in which you apply (the minimum requirement is a bachelor degree). Your most recent qualifying degree must be no more than five years old on the date you lodge your application.
- You must be willing and able to move to Canberra for the duration of the program.
If your only qualifying degree is from an overseas university, you will need to provide us with a statement verifying the recognition of your qualifications from an Australian state or territory government overseas qualifications unit. We will not consider your application without this supporting documentation.
If you are applying for a role in the Indigenous affirmative measures pathway, you will need to provide confirmation of heritage prior to being offered a role.
If you are offered a role, you will need to obtain a valid Australian Government security clearance prior to your commencement.
Our recruitment process involves five steps:
Step 1: Application
Step 2: Shortlisting
Step 3: Interview
Step 4: Selection and referee checks
Step 5: Outcomes advised
Interviews take place in all major Australian cities around June each year. Reasonable adjustments are made for all interviews on request
What we are looking for
We are looking for graduates with degrees across a range of disciplines, particularly economics, law, business, finance, public policy, political science and mathematics.
As well as academic qualifications, we are looking for graduates with highly-developed written and oral communication skills, strong analytical and people skills and individuals that demonstrate initiative, honesty, fairness and respect.
As a Treasury graduate you will have access to the following benefits:
- Commencement on a competitive salary at the APS3 level ($64,524 base salary per annum plus 15.4 per cent superannuation) with the opportunity to move to the next classification level subject to performance.
- A two-year graduate development program including orientation week, regular formal training session, seminars, small group coaching, experiential activities and two work rotations.
- Support throughout the program from the graduate team and a Treasury buddy.
- Relocation allowance to assist graduates in relocating to Canberra to take up a position with the Treasury’s Graduate Program.
- Annual Lifestyle Contribution ($600) to assist in maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
- Flexible working arrangements, including flextime for APS employees.
- 20 days annual leave plus a closedown period from Christmas Day to the first working day after New Year’s Day.
- Performance based pay-point advancement and broadband progression.
- Onsite childcare centre, carer rooms and a dedicated quiet room for reflection, prayer and meditation.
- Please refer to the Treasury Enterprise Agreement 2018-2021 for more information.
Canberra’s population is around 400,000. As the nation’s capital, Canberra is home to Australia’s national cultural institutions. It also has exciting new urban hotspots in Braddon, New Acton and the Kingston Foreshore. Canberra is a great place to live and offers a wonderful lifestyle, four distinct seasons and a beautiful, clean environment.
Discover everything the nation’s capital has to offer at: